Sunday, May 8, 2016

Room - Emma Donoghue

3/5

This is not a book I'd normally choose to read for myself.  This one was for a book club of which I am a part. This is a story of a young woman and her son kept captive in a single room, far from public eyes, told from the viewpoint of the little boy.  For the first half of the book I just did not feel as appalled and disgusted as I felt I should given the nature of the character's situation.  I can't decide if that was intentional given the narrator's innocence or not.  At this point the book just did not draw me in and push me to keep reading even though the reading goes fairly fast.

Then the second half.  Things really pick up, I did not want to put it down.  The world opens up and the insight of the narrator, as a little boy isolated from the world, gives perhaps a more real picture of everything than many of us ever consider. 

This was a good book, I think the first section could have been trimmed a bit, but it does wrap up incredibly well.

1 comment: